MakerMask is a group of volunteers providing information and research about mask materials and designs to aid global communities of sewists, makers, and manufacturers in their local efforts. More specifically, we research, test, and share information about mask materials and designs intended for use as stop-gap solutions during the current COVID-19 crisis. These solutions are targeted at compliance with COVID-19 specific Emergency Use Authorizations set forth by the FDA.
Long Term Goal:
Fully research, test, and validate mask materials and designs consistent with traditional regulatory standards for longer-term sustainable solutions that enable local diversified mask production strategies.
MakerMask was founded by Dr. Jocelyn Songer, a biomedical engineer with a decade of experience using and researching respirators and masks.
In the News:
- Keynote Speaker, Handmade Mask Summit, June 17 & 20, “Masks Unmasked: The Science Behind Masks for COVID-19” by Dr. Jocelyn Songer
- Just Wanna Quilt‘s host Dr. Elizabeth Townsend Gard from Tulane Law School interviews Dr. Jocelyn Songer of MaskMaker.org about masks for COVID-19
- MakerMask provided information on mask use in under-served communities during the Virtually Maker Faire (video, slides) (May 23, 2020)
- Congressman Jim McGovern (May 5, 2020) speaks to MakerMask founder Dr. Songer about local mask making efforts in her hometown of Orange, Massachusetts.
- Popular Science (April 2, 2020), Make your own face mask—no sewing machine required,
- Lessons from a Mask Maker (March 29, 2020) Dr. Songer writes candidly about her own experience with making and using face masks.
- Makezine (March 27, 2020) The Big List: Make These Projects to Fight COVID-19 Right Now,
Make Spaces / Manufacturers
• Launchspace / MassK, Massachusetts
• Distill my Heart, Ace Monster Toys, California
• MakeIT, New Hampshire
• Lowell Makes , Massachusetts
• ROSE Project, Ontario
Additional Places where our masks are featured:
- GetUsPPE, Masks4humanity, Maskforce, SewToStop, and many more!